Turkey visa types
There are several Turkish visa types that define the traveler’s intended purpose for travel to Turkey:
A Turkish Tourist Visa is for tourism, commerce or transit purposes, including:
- Touristic Visit
- Single Transit
- Sportive Activity
- Double Transit
- Cultural Artistic Activity
- Business Meeting/Commerce
- Official Visit
- Visit to Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
A Turkish Tourist Visa can be applied for through the traditional Turkish Sticker Visa process at your nearest Turkish embassy, consulate, or authorized VAC. If you are from one of the 50+ countries eligible to apply online, you can apply through the Turkish e-Visa system.
A Turkish Official Visa is for:
- Assigned for duty
A Turkish Student Visa is for educational purposes, including:
- Internship Visa
- Internship ERASMUS
- Internship AISEC
- Turkish Language Course Purpose
- Course Purpose
- Education Purpose
- Education in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
A Turkish Work Visa is for work purposes, including:
- Employment Purpose/Special Employment Purpose
- Assigned Lecturers/Academics
- Assigned Sportsperson
- Assigned Artists
- Assigned Free Zone Workers
- Assigned Journalists
- Montage and Repairman Purposes
Other types of Turkish visas include:
- Medical treatment
- Family unification
- Exploration or archaeological activities
- Documentary related activities
- Tour operator agents or representatives
Table of contents
General requirements for a Turkey visa
The following items are required to apply for Turkish visas:
- A passport valid for at least sixty (60) days after your departure date from Turkey
- One (1) blank passport pages for official use
- Two (2) passport photos White background
- No more than 6 months old
- A completed and signed Turkish Visa application form
- return or roundtrip airline ticket
- Proof of financial means during stay in Turkey
- Proof of accommodation, in the form of hotel
- Medical Insurance coverage
NOTE : Some Turkey visa types have additional requirements than those listed above. Accordingly, you are advised to check the information requirements for your specific type of Turkish Visa application.
How to apply for a Turkish visa?
All Turkish visas require application from abroad through Turkish embassies, consulates, or authorized visa application centers (VACs). However, eligible foreign nationals, from over 50+ countries, can apply for the Turkey Tourist Visa online through the Turkish e-Visa system.
For Turkish Sticker Visa:
This process is required for all types of Turkish visa applications, and must be done in person at your nearest Turkish embassy/consulate/VAC.
- Gather the required documents (listed above)
- Fill out the visa application form
- Make an appointment online through the Pre-Application System of Turkish Sticker Visa here.
- On the appointment date, go to the Turkish embassy/consul ate/VAC where you applied.
- Pay the Turkish Visa fees by credit/debit card
For Turkish e-Visa:
Eligible foreign nationals, from over 50+ countries, can apply for the Turkey Tourist Visa online through the Turkish e- Visa system.
- Complete the Turkish e-Visa application online
- Make online payment for the visa fee
- Receive your e-Visa directly by email
Where to apply
For Turkish sticker visa:
All Turkey visa types must be applied to in person at the nearest Turkish embassy, consulate, or authorized Visa Application Center (VAC).
To initiate this process, you must fill out the visa application form and then make an appointment online through the Pre- Application & Appointment system here.
For Turkish e-visa:
Only the Turkish Tourism Visa (if you’re one of the 50+ eligible countries) can be applied online through the Turkish e-Visa system.
Go here to apply online for a Turkish Tourism Visa.
When to apply
- All Turkish Visa applicants are recommended to apply at least one (1) month before their planned trip to Turkey.
- Turkish e-Visa online application for a Turkish Tourism Visa is an efficient system that will result in quicker approval times.
- Still, you are recommended to apply at least 48 hours before your departure date to Turkey.
Turkey visa validity, duration of stay in Turkey, and the traveler's responsibility
Visa Validity is the period of time during which the visa can be used for travel or during which the visa remains valid for use. Duration of stay is the period during which the visa holder is entitled to stay in the travel destination.
- Visa Validity: Turkish Visas are valid for 180 days.
- Duration of Stay: The duration allowed for visitors, with a valid Turkish Visa, to stay in Turkey ranges between 30 to 90 days.
Travelers should not exceed the period of stay granted to them in the visa. It is the traveler’s responsibility to verify that they have not exceeded the duration period granted to them, as exceeding the granted duration period may lead to a fine.
Passport validity to Turkey visa types
- All foreigners wishing to travel to Turkey should carry a passport with an expiration date valid for a minimum of sixty (60) days after the approved and stipulated duration of stay in Turkey.
- Accordingly, if your Turkish visa validity is for ninety (90) days, then your passport should be valid for 150 days from the day you enter Turkey (90 days duration + 60 days passport validity).