For many international travelers, Turkey offers an electronic visa that can be applied for and obtained online. The Turkish e-Visa can be obtained by following a straightforward process, allowing eligible travelers to stay between 30 and 90 days within 180 days. It is a convenient means of acquiring a visa to Turkey for tourism or business purposes. Not every nationality can travel to Turkey with an e-visa, so it’s important to check whether your country is eligible before applying online.
This article will explain the Turkish e-Visa and the basic requirements to apply for one. It will also give a step-by-step overview of the application process and answer commonly asked questions for potential applicants.
The Turkish e-visa is an electronic travel authorization that foreign travelers can obtain online to enter Turkey for short-term stays. An e-Visa can be acquired by travelers coming to Turkey for tourism or business. The e-Visa is a convenient alternative to the traditional, paper-based visa process that allows travelers to complete the visa application process anywhere with an internet connection. Instead of going through a Turkish consulate or embassy, a process that often requires attending appointments and mailing documents, travelers can simply fill out the application online and pay the visa fee online.
Obtaining a Turkish e-Visa can be done easily and does not require many steps. However, applicants must meet all the requirements for an e-Visa before applying.
Basic requirements for applying for a Turkish e-Visa include:
- A passport or travel identity document from a country eligible for a Turkish e-Visa will remain valid at least 60 days beyond the duration of stay of their Turkish e-Visa. For a 90-day e-Visa, the document must be valid for at least 150 days (90 days of stay + 60 days after).
- An email address where the Turkish authorities can contact the applicant.
- A valid debit or credit card to pay the e-Visa fee online.
Additional requirements for the Turkey e-Visa include:
These requirements vary depending on the applicant’s nationality and are additional requirements on top of the basic ones.
- Possessing a valid supporting document (i.e. a valid visa or valid residence permit from a Schengen Zone country, the United States, United Kingdom, or Ireland).
- Proving that the intended stay in Turkey is short-term and only for a valid reason (as listed above). This could include tourism or attending a business conference. It does not include living, working, or studying in Turkey for extended periods of time.
- Sufficient funds to cover the entire stay in Turkey. Travelers will typically require a daily amount of $50 per day.
- An airline ticket booked through a Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs approved airline.
- A valid hotel reservation or other proof of accommodation.
These eligibility requirements may change depending on the applicant’s unique situation, nationality, and planned trip to Turkey.
Applying for a Turkish e-Visa can be done through a straightforward process. Some steps in the visa application process for a Turkish e-Visa may be subject to change based on the applicant’s nationality and reason for visiting Turkey. However, most applicants will take the following steps to obtain their Turkish e-Visa:
Step 1: Determine eligibility for a Turkish e-Visa
Not all nationalities can apply for a Turkish e-Visa, so it’s essential for the applicants to start by checking their eligibility for the e-Visa.
Step 2: Gather and organize the required documents
Several documents are required by the Turkish authorities to process an e-Visa application. While this list will change depending on the purpose of traveling and the applicant’s nationality, the following documents are typically required of all applicants:
- A valid passport or travel document that is valid for at least 60 days beyond the duration of stay of the Turkey e-Visa.
- A valid email address for the visa to be sent to once approved
- A valid debit or credit card that can be used to pay the e-Visa fee
Step 3: Submit the e-Visa application online
After determining their eligibility and gathering all required documents, applicants can submit their e-Visa online. Most applicants will follow these steps:
- Complete the Turkey e-Visa application form.
- Fill in your nationality and planned arrival date to Turkey.
- Read the country-specific information provided, including the validity of the e-Visa, whether the e-Visa will be single or multiple-entry, and the length of the permitted stay.
- Continue to the additional steps if your passport is from a country that requires further documentation.
- Complete the required personal and contact information, as well as details concerning your travel document.
- Double-check all information in the application and edit them if necessary.
- Pay the e-Visa fee with a valid credit or debit card.
Step 4: Receive the Turkish e-Visa
Once the application is submitted and the fee is paid, an initial confirmation email will be sent. If the e-Visa is approved, another email will be sent after processing with the e-Visa attached as a PDF. This can be printed and presented to the Turkish immigration officers upon arrival.
The processing times for Turkish e-Visas can vary depending on the purpose of travel and the applicant’s nationality, so it’s advised to apply for the visa 48 hours before travel.
FAQs About Turkish e-Visas
The processing times for Turkish e-Visas can vary but typically processed within 24-48 hours. Processing times will be longer during peak travel times and if the applicant’s situation is more complex.
A Turkish e-Visa can vary depending on your nationality.
If your application for a Turkish e-Visa is rejected, you will receive an email explaining why. In most cases, the rejection is due to incorrect or incomplete information provided in the application. You can submit a new application with the correct information in this case. Suppose your application is rejected for other reasons, such as a criminal record or issues with your passport. In that case, you may need to apply for a traditional visa through a Turkish consulate or embassy.
You cannot apply for a Turkish e-Visa if you are already in Turkey. The e-Visa must be obtained before traveling to Turkey.
Can I use a Turkish e-Visa to enter Turkey by land or sea?
For those who come from eligible countries, obtaining a Turkish e-Visa is a quick and easy way to apply for and obtain access to Turkey for short-term tourism, business, or medical treatment visits. Depending on your nationality and the reason for your trip, the cost and processing time for an e-Visa may change. To guarantee that you obtain your e-Visa in time for your trip, you should submit your application 48 hours beforehand. Your trip plans may be affected if you are denied entry to Turkey due to a lack of a valid visa. Therefore, all applicants must confirm their eligibility, compile the required documentation, and double-check their e-Visa application before submitting it online. Once they receive their e-Visa, they can enjoy all the splendid sites and experiences Turkey has to offer!